Generally, counselling is the process of helping an individual by giving him/her guidance, moral support, and exploring solutions for his/her problems. Counselling is mainly related to a professional who helps you out from the problems. This professional is known as Counsellor who expertise in understanding human behavior, their personality, and knows well how to give the right direction to their thoughts. Career counselling is a process with the primary focus on helping the person to understand himself as well as work trends so that one can take a wise step in terms of his/her career and education. Career Counselling helps in sort out the range of problems such as low concentration levels, poor time management, and trust issues with the parents and family, non-agreement between parents and children on the career selection.
Nowadays, career counselling is become a need of the hour, as most student pick commonly known streams as their career. It is an effort for students; give them guidance while they are choosing their career paths as per their interest and stream of academics. There are a number of factors that influence your career development, including your interest, abilities, values, personality, background, and circumstances and career counselling is the way that will help you to know and understand yourself and the world of work in order to make a career, educational, and life decisions. Through the career counselling, the counsellor comes to know about the interests and also the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate which further helps in selecting the appropriate career for the candidate. The objective of career counselling is not only help you in making the decisions you need to make in your career path but also give you the knowledge and skills you need to make future career and life decisions.
SERVICES OFFERED BY CAREER COUNSELLORS
There are some services listed below given by the career consultants or counsellors to their customers.
- Career Counselling
- Training and Development
- Skill Test
- Career Guidance
- Career Workshop
- Admission Guidance
- Study Abroad
- Education Planner
- Group Discussion Tips
- Placement Assistance
Career counselling plays a vital role in the student’s life. There are several roles played by career counselling in the making of a student to a professional as discussed below:
- DEVELOPMENT OF STUDENT-By teaching the subjects to students cannot develop them intellectually. Self knowledge is the factor which enhances the intellectual of learners. It is the forgotten factor in our educational system. So, it’s the primary focus of the counselling process. Counselling helps the students to understand their self so that they come to know about their needs and interests.
- DETERMINE THE POTENTIAL-There are various students who have clear thoughts about what they want to become, whereas, on the other hand, there are various others who are either in dilemma or have no idea about their career preferences. Career counsellors conduct the regular aptitude test and counselling sessions which can help students in finding out the right career options and fields in which they show interest. On the basis of these counselling results, students can make the right selection regarding in which course they want to enroll in order to accomplish their career goals.
- VARIOUS CAREER OPPORTUNITIES-Career Counsellors are well aware of the jobs in the market and the skills that are required for specific fields. For instance, there are many rewarding fields such as bartending, ethical hacking, astrophysics,etc. that are still un-tapped and many people are not aware of these streams. There are also other careers such as Aviation and Defence, about which you may not know how to get into them. Hence, with the help of their experience and knowledge, a career counsellor helps you explore and discover various career opportunities for career selection and growth.
- CLARITY ON FUTURE GOALS-Every student has set a goal to achieve in his life. There are various question roaming in the mind of a student like what ambitions or targets do you have? Where do you see yourself five years from now? The best aspect of career counselling is that it is objective and strategic. A clear picture of your goal can be created informing you about where you will head and what obstacles you will face on this journey. After having a serious discussion with the counsellor, you should be confident of the fact that the future you are heading for is fun-filled and something that you will be able to stick on to for long.
- IDEAL COURSES-These professionals provide you with the best information about the ideal colleges and courses in India as well as overseas. If you want to stay in India or overseas then you might have some knowledge about the future aspects of the courses which you want to do. But if you want to go overseas for studies and for career growth, you might not have all the information related to that country’s market. You do not know whether the future for that field is growing or diminishing. In this case, career advice from experts is the best way to understand the prospects of an option in different countries.
- AIM LEADS TO SUCCESS-A counsellor can help the students to choose the right aim and help them with the process of achieving it. Futhermore, an experienced counsellor can help them with a well planned track to reach the goal. A step by step career map of reaching the goal in a realistic manner helps the students to achieve their desired career faster. With right goal setting, a person can attend career success over a very short time period.
However, candidates who are willing to take the career counselling should be aware of the consequences if they choose the wrong consultant because it is related to your future and a single wrong will be harmful to your coming life. Your career consultant or counsellor should be experienced so that they serves you in a better way. After consulting with your counsellor, do homework on the suggestion provided by the consultant. Check over the internet, books and magazines about the course and college which you are going to choose. Nowadays, various online career websites are available on the internet, on which you can check anything related to your career queries. Career counselling is to get the necessary guidance from a qualified professional that would help the student in making the right choice regarding his or her career. Career counsellors should try and use the best elements from various approaches in their work. Their allegiance should, ultimately, be to find the best ways to useful to clients. So, you should consult with them before taking any career related step.