What Is Distance Education?
Distance education is defined as the practice of using correspondence, either written or virtual, to learn. With this practice, a teacher in New York could provide instruction to students all over the United States and the world. This helps students access teachers who may live geographically too far away to attend a class; it also assists students who cannot take classes during traditional hours because of work or other responsibilities.
Growth of Correspondence Courses
By the late 1800 s, correspondence courses had taken off, especially in the United States. Colleges and universities began offering correspondence courses, including some large schools such as Baylor University and the University of Chicago. As popularity in distance education grew, so did the number of schools offering the courses. By the mid-1900 s, schools all around the world relied heavily on correspondence courses to supplement their on-campus student bodies.
THE TYPES OF DISTANCE EDUCATION :
- You have the option of pursuing a distance learning programme from the one and only national open university of India – the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) or any of the 13 state open universities in India.
- All distance programs must be approved by the Distance Education Bureau (DEB) of the University Grants Commission (UGC.) You can access the list of ODLs (Online and Distant Learning Institutes) that are currently approved by the DEB on their website.
- Distance learning has evolved a lot in the last couple decades. With advances in technology, distance learning now also includes online learning or e-learning.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sustainability Science (PGDSS)
- Appreciation Programme on Sustainability Science (APSS)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Food Science and Technology (PGDFT)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Food Safety and Quality Management (PGDFSQM)
- Though two degrees cannot generally be pursued simultaneously, a student can pursue two programmer simultaneously through the distance mode or combination of distance and regular modes from the same or different universities/institutions in the following various combinations:
- One Degree and one Diploma/PG Diploma/Certificate
- One P G Diploma and one Diploma/Certificate
- One Diploma and one Certificate
- Two PG Diplomas
- Two Diplomas
- Two Certificate
- 8.There are now many institutes/ colleges/ universities in India that offer only online courses. University 18 is such an example. It has been developed in a Public Private Partnership with national universities like Karnataka State Open University (KSOU), Uttarakhand Open University (UOU) and IIM Shillong. Another such 100 percent online education platform is UTS. You can submit assignments online, access an online library 24-7 and take exams online.
beST DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM :
Take the leap towards the next stage of your career with programs that have been thoughtfully designed for working professionals. They are structured and scheduled to allow for a fulfilling work life & study balance. Depending on the need and depth of up skills, students have an option to choose from specializations within following: Certificate programs, Diploma Programs, Professional Programs, PG Diploma Programs and Master Programs.
DURING PANDEMIC PERIOD DISTANCE EDUCATION AT HOME E LEARNING :
The idea of rolling out of bed and moving onto the couch to study in your pyjamas may have once sounded like a real dream come true. But in reality, the novelty will soon wear off (if it hasn’t already) as you realize you’re getting through more Netflix series than you are assignments and lecture notes.