The Union government announced that 5 kg of food grains would be provided to 80 crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY).
- The foodgrains will be allocated free-of-cost @ 5 Kg per person per month to nearly 80 Crore beneficiaries covered under the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA) over and above NFSA foodgrains.
- It would be on the same pattern as the earlier PM-GKAY.
- PMGKAY is a food security welfare scheme announced in March 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It is operated by the Department of Food and Public Distribution under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- The scheme aims to feed the poorest citizens of India by providing grain through the Public Distribution System, to all the priority households (ration cardholders and those identified by the Antyodaya Anna Yojana scheme).