Oil pulling is an old Ayurvedic dental action which apparently dates back approximately 3,000 years ago. It basically comprises of whooshing a tiny quantity of oil in mouth for a short time, then spitting it out. The thought is that the oil pulls out bacteria and other toxins that hide within your mouth.
How Does Oil Pulling Work?
When you get up in the morning, get a tablespoon of any oil and swish it around your mouth for about 20 minutes, like when you use mouthwash. However, don’t do it as robustly since you’ll be doing it for far longer and your jaw will get exhausted.
Mildly swirl the oil around your mouth and pull it through the spaces between your teeth. Ensure not to swallow any of it, or you’ll devour the foul things in your mouth gathered by the oil.
When you’re done, spit the oil in the dustbin. Do not spit it in your sink because when the oil congeals, it may block up your pipes. Wash your mouth out with warm water then brush and floss like normal.
What are the Benefits to Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling has been qualified to a number of advantages that include whiter teeth, better gums, clearer sinuses, stronger jaw, and a decrease in bad breath and gingivitis.
It’s important to keep in mind that oil pulling is not meant to substitute regular dental hygiene. You still need to brush, floss at least twice a day and visit your dentist twice a year.
Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Can kill Harmful Bacteria in your mouth
2. Could help reduce bad breath
3. May Help Prevent Cavities
4. Seems to Reduce Inflammation and Improve Gum Health.
5. May have other benefits
Some claim that it’s able to pull stains from the surface of teeth, resulting in a whitening effect, although there is no scientific research to back this up
6. Cheap and Easy to add to your routine
Two of the biggest benefits to oil pulling are how simple it is to do and how easily it can be incorporated into your daily regimen.
HOW To Oil Pulling in 4 Simple Steps
Oil pulling is easy to do and involves just a few simple steps.
Here are the 4 simple steps to do oil pulling:
- Measure one tablespoon of oil, such as coconut, sesame or olive oil.
- Swish it around in your mouth for 15–20 minutes, being careful not to swallow any.
- Spit the oil into a trash can once you’re done. Avoid spitting it into the sink or toilet, as this can cause a build-up of oil, which may lead to clogging.
- Rinse your mouth well using water before eating or drinking anything.
Repeat these steps a few times per week or up to three times daily. You may also want to work your way up, starting with swishing for just 5 minutes and increasing the duration until you’re able to do it for a full 15–20 minutes.
For best results, most recommend doing this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, although you can adapt based on your personal preferences