Honey is a sweet substance made by honey bees.
EXPIRY DATES FOR HONEY
Honey doesn’t have an expiry date, it goes through natural changes. Natural, properly stored honey won’t get expired. Honey may get dark and lose its aroma in the long run. The reason for the magical longevity of honey lies in its biological makeup. Organisms that spoils food won’t be able to do have fun when it comes to honey.
FACTS ABOUT HONEY
- Honey is 80% sugar and 20% water.
- It is the only food that includes all the substance necessary for life including water.
- There are different flavors and colors of honey.
- Not all bees makes honey.
- Not all honey are made by bees, some are made by wasps.
- Honey is a versatile food.
BENEFITS OF HONEY
Honey is used as medicine and food. It is healthy in many aspects.
- Honey has antioxidants which is linked to reduce risk of heart attack.
- Less bad than sugar for diabetes.
- Lower blood pleasure.
- Honey can help you improve colastrol level.
- Honey is also an effective treatment for diabetic foot ulcers.
- It can help in burn and wound healing.
- Honey can help to suppress cough for children.
- Honey is sometimes used to treat digestive issues.
- Medicine for sour throat treatment.
Can honey be consumed daily? No. However beneficial it is. Too much of anything is good for nothing. As the tamil saying goes ‘அளவுக்கு மீறினால் அமிர்தமும் நஞ்சு.’
Phytonutrients are compounds found in plants that help protect the plant from harm. The phytonutrients in honey are responsible for its antioxidant properties, as well as thought to be the reason raw honey has shown immune-boosting and anticancer benefits.
TYPES OF HONEY
There are vast variety of honey with different flavor, taste and smell. There are more than 200 variety of honey it depends upon the flower source. Few of those are avocado, ironbark, jarrah, clover, linden, Heather, Basswood, Beechwood, Bluckwheat etc.
White honey doesn’t have to be white. It generally have milder flavor compared to darker ones. Lighter honey gives light taste and sweetness. White honey also contains such antioxidants. Antioxidants help to protect your body from cell damage due to free radicals. Free radicals contribute to the aging process.
WHY WOODEN DIPPER HAVE GROOVES?
A honey dipper is an utensil, made of wood that consist of equally spaced groove(the spiral is called as groove). It is often made of turned wood. The tool is used by dipping the grooved end in honey, then slowly twirl. The tool is sometimes made of plastics and glass too.
The groove allows the honey to be pulled in while they are horizontal but flow out when vertical. Why wood? The metal and plastic degrade slightly while in honey. Wood lasts longer and will take on the flavor of honey.
It is also because it resembles beehive. The shape is to provide a larger surface area for the volume. This traps more of the liquid in the slow-flowing boundary layer.It holds more honey in one dip. Easy to drizzle over pancakes and bread.