With the myriads of electronic gadgets , the genres of games available are immense. The strength of players ( getting addicted to PC games, online games through browsers, mobile games, video game consoles etc) increases multi-fold. Henceforth , the game industry is thriving and reaching its heights.
Definitely a decent job in Game industry with good expertise will be a lucrative one.
Intro to Game Development …
Some of the real world events are not in our control. Hence, changing the reality is always not possible. Creating a new reality is an interesting aspect of Game development.
Games are produced through the software development process , as a video game is software with art, audio, and game play. Game development is a process that starts from an idea or concept . Creativity and an open mind is vital for the completion of a successful video game.
Independent games or indie games are produced by individuals and small teams with no large-scale developer .Most modern PC or console games take from three to five years to complete.], where as a mobile game can be developed in a few months.
The different elements involved in Game Development can either be handled by a single developer who is individually creating a game or normally by a team of multiple people.
- Story: Everything has a story and that is equally true for video games!!! Your story may be relatively easy. The main point is that there should be an interesting story to captivate your players!!!
- Characters: After the story, the characters are a fundamental part of any video game. You have to decide the looks and personalities of the characters, what should be manners and characteristics etc.
- Audio: It is the backbone of video games!!! There are various sounds in the game world like player sounds, background music, etc. that together create a realistic situation effect ( being in a forest , ocean etc) .
- Art: It is very important as it decides the feel of the game. Normally art in video games can include various things like the game texture, 3D modeling of characters and objects, particle systems to create fire, fog, snow, etc.
- Lighting or rendering: All the lighting in video games is obviously artificial and very important for mood setting. Less lighting can be used in association with horror or thriller games while increased lighting can denote more adventure or fun games.
- Levels: All good video games have various levels that increase the difficulty as time goes on. Levels can be denoted in games by multiple floors, different buildings etc.
How to Start Learning Game Development?
Game development involves bringing games from the conceptual phase, through development, and into reality. Initially , the beginner shall try to develop a new concept or idea , modify it and get a final draft as high concept .Then, he can develop its summary and later, the detailed game description ( feature list, setting and story, target audience, hardware and software requirements , time schedule, and finally staff and budget estimates ) at the conceptual level. Prototypes (miniature model of a game) are often meant only to act as a proof of concept or to test ideas, by modifying some of the features. Below are the steps given to start learning Game development.
- Choose a known Game Engine: As you are a beginner in Game Development, it is best to start with a known Game Engine. They are quite useful in general as they provide 3D and 2D graphics rendering, audio support, animation etc.
• The most popular Game Engine is Unity as it is quite easy to learn, and also has the personal edition which is free!
• It is a game development platform first and foremost with a user-friendly drag-and-drop interface.
• It is possible to make 2D, 3D and VR (virtual reality)games with it
• It has an extensive asset store with a lot of assets and plugins
o There are also a lot of assets available for free
• A big community that can help you with the development issues
• Many tutorials provided by Unity and the community
• Supports export to every relevant platform (and more)
Another popular Game Engine is the Unreal Engine . You don’t need to write any code to make a game . It has a system called Blueprints. Instead of writing code, you can use their visual scripting system to build the logic of your game. It is easier to learn compared to learning a new scripting language. However, you still need to learn the logic behind it to understand what is going on. You can quickly come up with own features and mechanics. It can be used to create games for the system Windows, Android, Linux, Mac OS and iOS.
This open-source engine is completely free to use. It supports 2D, 3D, and VR games. There is an active community that contributes to the engine and also provides tutorials.
The CryEngine a powerful platform for making games. It is free to use until you start to ship a game, similar to Unity and Unreal.
A powerful visual environment for developing 2D games. It has wide capabilities and several settings for events and behavior. It is simple and games for Android and iOS can be created quickly using this game engine.
Android Studio is the “official” tool for Android game development. This tool comes directly from Google and supports Java and Kotlin as the primary programming languages.
Unlike Unity , Android Studio is much more of a traditional IDE and coding knowledge or experience is needed for game development.
- Create a Basic Game: With this basic idea ,you can create a basic game. Try to keep your project around a week or so because the most important thing now is that you understand the basics and make sure that the game has a clear objective and endpoint.
- Learn 3D Graphics and high Math skills: And most of the famous games today require 3D graphics which provides a realistic feeling to the game. So if you want to become a Professional highly skilled Game Programmer, you should know computer graphics and also the mathematics behind it (linear algebra,matrices etc).
Different Job roles in Game development
There are different kind of roles in Game development.
A game designer is a person who designs game mechanics , user interface, characters, graphics , rules and structure of a game. They are the main visionary of the game. One of the roles of a designer is being a writer, often employed part-time to conceive game’s narrative, dialogue, video game packaging content, hint system, etc.
A game artist is a visual artist who creates video game art. The artist’s job may be 2D oriented or 3D oriented. 2D artists may produce concept art, sprites, textures, environmental backdrops and user interface. 3D artists may produce models, animation, 3D environment, and cinematics.
A game programmer is a software engineer who primarily develops video games or related software (such as game development tools). The game’s code base development is handled by programmers. Individual programming disciplines roles include: (i).Physics including simulating collision, object movement, etc.; (ii).AI – such as rule-based decisions, etc. (iii).Graphics – the production of graphics engine, integration of models etc.(iv).Sound – integration of music, speech, effect sounds into the proper locations and times. (v).Scripting – development of high-level command system for various in-game tasks, such as level editor triggers, etc.(vi).UI – production of user interface elements, like option menus, help and feedback systems, etc.(vii).Network communications – the managing of data inputs and outputs for local and internet game play.
A level designer is a person who creates levels, challenges or missions for computer and/or video games using a specific set of programs.
Sound engineers are technical professionals responsible for sound effects and sound positioning.
The quality assurance is carried out by game testers.
The testers ensure that the game falls within the proposed design: it both works and is entertaining. This involves testing of all features, compatibility etc.
Game industry is a promising field and it has a lot of scope for growth and sustain. Game playing is not mandatory for game development. Using Game engines, mobile games can be developed within months ( without much programming experience) compared to games for wider screens .Online courses and tutorials are extensively available in the Internet to master it.
To know further details about this topic, please check the following links.