Establishing a startup is not a one day task. It requires a lot of hard work, patience and most importantly, it requires an excellent team to work with you to achieve your goals. And building a winning team that rides your startup to victory is not an easy task. The people you choose have the ability to make or break your business. You need to take a few essential steps at your initial stage to begin your work.
- Identify Positions
If you are not doing a sole proprietorship, you and your co-founder need to know the positives and negatives of each other. You can’t be perfect in every skill, so you both must do a self-evaluation and know what are your strengths and weaknesses. When you know about it then you both can categorize your work according to your skills.
When things between you and your co-founder are settled, you should start identifying positions to complete your team. Marketing and sales, accounting and finance, research and development are just a handful of examples of positions that you may need in your team.
- Selecting your team members
- The process of hiring of team members should be done very accurately for the firm.
- Try to find T- shaped people for the organization. These people are experienced in one specific area but can handle other tasks too. They are quick learners and ready to take new challenges. They will benefit you more as compared to the employees experienced in a specific area. This will also help in recruiting a few numbers of employees in the beginning.
- Hire people who understand the importance of customer service.
- You can appoint advisors to guide on important matters.
- If your capital is limited, then you can go scouting in different colleges. Choose interns from there. Explain your plan to them and convince them to join you.
When you select your candidates, you must see that they fit in your startup culture, possess the right set of tools for your startup and should be passionate about what they do.
After selecting your candidates, there should be hiring and training. After this, they should be assigned their roles and responsibility.
Always keep in mind whether you are choosing your 1st or your 100th candidate, you should know about the needs of your company and only then appoint someone who perfectly fits in that role.
- Important things to keep in mind while building your startup:-
- Be focused on your plan.
- Make products keeping in mind what customers will be attracted to.
- Customer satisfaction must be a priority list.
- You need to create a unique brand proposition of your product.
- You must have good leadership quality.
- Always communicate with your team members.
- You must have a proper check on the cash flow of your company.
- Never ignore or underestimate your competition.
- Ability to listen and understand your teammates.
- You should always be willing to learn and adapt to the changes happening around you.
In conclusion, this African proverb sums up beautifully:
If you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together.
Building your startup is a ride of ups and downs. You need to be calm and positive in the initial period. Thus, if you want to make your startup into the leading company, you need to start by building a winning team that will take you far.
One thought on “How to create the initial team for your startup”
nice direction for freshers
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.