“Change comes with habit and perseverance.” Said my father through-out his whole existence. He always taught me the importance of “habits”. He emphasised how adapting to changes for your own good becomes easier when you start making it a part of your lifestyle. I was always given an example of our ancestors and how they lived a simple yet healthy life.
Bad habits can lead to serious diseases, often known as chronic diseases. Chronic diseases are defined as a human health condition or disease that is persistent or otherwise long-lasting in its effects or a disease that comes with time. In this article, we are going to talk about the various habits and how they can help in providing us a long and efficient life.
- Heart disease and stroke
- Type 2 diabetes
- Colon cancer
- Premature mortality
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- With the increase in the technological support in our lives, which has made life easier for some, the ill wind of the latter keeps on increasing day by day as well. While our adults keep on insisting on the fact that an organic and natural lifestyle is a healthy one, the introduction of covid-19 into this world last year has made it even more difficult for children to cut out this technology out of their lives since their entire work life is based off on it now. But excess usage of gadgets can lead to sleep deprivation which can become the ground for many serious diseases in the near future. Excess usage of mobile phones and keeping your phone near to yourself while sleeping gives a lot of bad radiations to your body leading to a weak immune system.
- Apart from professionalism, somewhere, people are trying to replace human relations with gadgets and failing terribly to do so in the long run. They are making apps to kill loneliness but failing to recognize the walking apps i.e their friends and family in their lives. As a result, depression has now evolved to be included in the category of “chronic illnesses” and can lead to physical disabilities. Our society has been oblivious to discussions about mental health for so long that mental conditions are proving out to be more dangerous than the physical ones in these times. But being on your phone all the time doesn’t solve it, in fact, it is the breeding ground of these mental conditions, a fact our generations fails to acknowledge. In this case, having more and more human interactions and exposure apart from technology is a crucial part of your life and can bring about a lot of changes in your mental as well as physical health.
- Importance of a healthy diet- “You are what you eat.” A healthy diet doesn’t only provide you with nutrition, it has a lot of other benefits as well. When you eat healthy, your mind generates a sensation of joy and pride in yourself. But don’t only go with the prescriptions of dieticians and health experts because everyone has a different body system. You have to figure out what keeps YOUR body healthy and happy individually. And even if you are eating unhealthy once in a while, make sure you are in control of your portion size.
- Meditation- Simply giving just 10 minutes of your day to meditation can give your body enough oxygen and reduction in stress and anxiety. Just make sure you meditate close to nature because going organic is the key. Even if you are at your home, you can go close to plants at your house or your terrace and even in your balcony!
- Cleanliness- Practices like changing your pillow cover every week and sanitizing your phone every 2-3 days can provide you with a good hygiene and prevent you from getting many skin problems in life.
- Sleep on time- Sleeping really late at night has also been linked to many skin related problems according to research. This generation has brought about a trend of being a night owl which can surely bombard them with health issues later in life.
Your body and mind are the only two things which will stay with you for eternity and if we fail to keep them both in check, we will fail as a human. But the journey of turning towards a better lifestyle is mainly about self-analysis and figuring out what suits you the best and what makes you happy! So keep spreading love and be your own reason to smile!