The current age of science and technology has impacted the individual in every sphere, the expansion of social networking and media has led to huge spread of socialization digitally. Basically, the social networking site is defined as an online platform which provides people with an opportunity to build social relationships with different people around the world, and match the people with common interests and connections. Social media has facilitated a lot of people in reshaping and enhancing their expressing and communication skills, thus, it has the potential of engaging the people constantly.
Gradually, social media has became an integral part of the individual life, as it has the potential to boost the personality of the user. It is no more a medium of informal communication a rather became a significant mode to promote one’s business, organization, etc. it is an excellent instrument to attract and advertise one’s talent and activities as social media allows consistent engagement of the people of the society.
However, every type and site of social media has two sides- Bright and Dark. It can be regarded as helpful or disturbing on the basis of the manner of the usage. India has around 400 million people that make use of one or other social media platform, and most of these users operate through their phones that cam be mentally stressful as well as is prone to hacking and malicious activities. The heavy usage of social media among the children and youngsters has led to certain hostile incidents like, Mental disorder or instability, attempts to suicide, Self-injurious behavior, etc. It is worth noting that introduction of social media has brought a kind of reformation and modernization in the society; yet, on the other hand, excessive usage of this blessing has also brought various negative consequences and transformed it into a curse.
Thus, it becomes necessary to analysis the advantages and disadvantages of social media to know the positive or negative impact of this Double-edged Sword.
- The social media is a great medium to establish connectivity among different individuals. The people from all around the world can communicate and connect with each other very easily. The distance among the individuals feels to be reduced even if they are a continent apart, they feel close by having a communication through any social media site.
- Also, the people can share their views and ideas on a specific issue and get to hear other’s perspective. For example, if someone publish something on their social media profile, the other visiting users have the liberty to comment upon the same.
- The social websites can be a mode of helping the people around you and resolving the prevailing social issues. Even during the pandemic situation, the social media platform has helped the individuals in need to approach others for help and vice versa. Thus, the connections can be viable if it simplifies the things.
- The businesses and organizations now have the opportunity to know the need of the people through the social media websites and produce the necessary product. Also, the existing businesses can easily accept the consumer review and enhance their product accordingly. It has helped the individuals certainly in expanding their businesses.
- Various small businesses have come up, these people might not have a specifically built infrastructure, they are operating from their residence through their social media accounts and are receiving overwhelming responses.
- The technological improvement and establishment of social media platform has been educational for the young generation and its significance has drastically increased during the pandemic and lockdown situations.
- The social media is prone to certain setbacks and lacking, the sharing of ideas and news on the social media has led to various sites coming up and posting contradictory news on the same issue. Thus, there is wide spread of fake and misleading information on the social media, this creates confusion among the people and can lead to adverse instances.
- The social media has given birth to a whole new term of Cyber-bullying, some immoral people feel pleasure in attacking the other individuals. As, the individuals can chose to hide their real identity and misrepresent themselves, this causes a lot of difficulties in identification of the user. This problem is more common among the young users of social media, who do these mischiefs for fun without knowing the future consequences of the same.
- Social media is quite addictive and at the same time it is damaging for the mental, physical as well as social well-being of an individual. Excessive use of anything is dangerous and the same phrase is applicable to the social media platforms. The harmful radiations coming from the electronic devices can affect the mental health of the operator and thus, it can cause a decline in the ability to think and function of an individual, it increases complication and complexities.
Thus, the negative impact of the social networking sites should be kept in mind while making use of these platforms. Communication is a vital part of the human society, however, the increase in penetration of social media affects the individual practical skills adversely. There is an urgent need to keep a check upon the social activities of the young children by the parents to ensure that they learn good things and to avoid their involvement in wicked activities.