The pandemic has brought an evolution in every field. With the development of information and communication technology the world has witnessed increasing acceptance of online education over a period of time. Even before the covid-19 pandemic, individuals were involved in several e learning platforms to enhance their skills and employability. However, this schooling was limited to the classroom. But due to the sudden outbreak of covid-19, they had to adapt to the online mode of teaching in very short period of time. Online schooling has now became a new normal situation for the students as well as the teachers. It is seen as a more convenient but less interactive medium of teaching.
The current situations make it clear that the online mode of schooling is going to be the future of education. Along with the health sector education sector is the most affected area, about 1.2 billion of students around the world have been out of their classrooms and adapting to the new online mode of education. Continuous attempt has been made in research and development design new tools and software to simplify the process of online teaching. Even the government have been running several streaming platforms to provide students with lectures and digital content so they can learn conveniently.
Under the online mode of teaching, the classes are conducted in two methods where they can be delivered through online video streaming for live lectures. At times, the students are also provided by pre recorded lectures or or the recordings of the lectures conducted are also provided for future revision.
SCOPE OF ONLINE SCHOOLING IN INDIA
Based upon the analysis, India has nearly 1.5 million schools teaching around 260 million students daily. The school system of India is second largest in the world. It is expected that the online schooling in India will grow magnificently within the next three years. As per the experts the education involving primary secondary as well as higher education will be increasing to nearly 735 million users by the year 2021. This will create a conducive conditions for online schooling and also provide a boost to the other factors such as:
- Rising digitalization in India, with increasing internet availability and usage online mode of education is certainly going to get a boost. With the improvement in technology internet speeds are also going to be upgraded with coming of optical fiber internet service in urban areas and the governments target of connecting the entire rural areas still the panchayat level through its Bharat net program. This will increase the accessibility to internet service for each individual which will allow them to easily assess the online schooling.
- Various government policies and schemes, government is aiming to improve the role of online education in India. Along with the announcement of new education policy 2020 the government aims to create a separate unit in the ministry of human resources and development that will take care and focus upon and answering the capacity building to look after education of both school and the higher education. Beside this various other programs such as National digital library, SWAYAM, E-yantra, etc. the purpose of these programs is to provide good quality content to the students in the digital mode to keep them engaging and increase their interest in education.
- Learning beyond the school, this new age of education the is not limited to the four walls of classroom. Children are not only dependent on the schools for learning they can enhance their knowledge with the use of new tools and techniques that are easily available online.
- Minimization in the cost of education, online schooling also have some economical or financial advantages. The cost of education has been increasing sharply over the past few years. Schooling can be a great alternative to the traditional mode and also proved to be cost-effective. A particular setup with some specific device can enable the people to avail the facility of education and it also helps the students who were earlier not able to go to school due to the the distance differences and financial incapability. It can be observed that online classes require one time investment in digital devices such as laptop, smartphones, computers, etc.
- Personalized and flexible, online schooling is more flexible as compared to the classroom classes which has a fixed time of teaching. It provides the liberty to the students to plan their day accordingly and as per themselves. There is enough scope to digest engage practice and learn at their own pace. Students have not to face any peer pressure and are able to study in a comfortable environment. Therefore, online schooling is more personalized that fields for build for the individual themselves.
LIMITATIONS OF ONLINE SCHOOLING
Along with the the potential advantages, schooling is also characterized by certain limitations. Below are some limitations that prevents the successful implementation of online schooling:
- Lack of internet connectivity, internet is now declared as a fundamental right for the individual. But yet coronavirus of children in India are unable to avail the internet facilities. The backward areas are yet deprived of a fast internet on mobile service. Slow internet or absence of such services becomes an hindrance in application of the online schooling.
- Lack of digital devices, online schooling requires some devices such as laptops computers tablets or mobile Phones. India is marked by poverty and illiteracy, many people in country are unable to afford these devices or do not have the knowledge to operate them. This is a setback for the nation.
- Lack of personal interaction, online education reduces face to face as well as social interaction between the students and teachers. It also hinders the development of interpersonal communication and social skills among the students. It establishes a sort of informal environment which we motivate or discourage the students to to study. This results and many types of disorders that can be physical as well as mental in young children.
- No practical knowledge, online schooling deprive students from enjoying the physical infrastructural facilities. The students are unable to attend the lab dot carryout practical as they are unable to do that at their homes. Practical is also found an essential part of the curriculum of schooling that teaches the application of knowledge.
It is clear that the pandemic period has disrupted the education system that was prevailing in the form of traditional methods. However under the current circumstances it has also acted as a bridge to encourage the digitalization of education full stop institutions need to be better equipped digitally as well as students need to learn digital skills for the betterment and improving quality of the learning. It can be concluded that the application of online education need to be accompanied with the changes in curriculum test books teacher training examinations etc. The scope and reach of energy education is greater than imagined. There is a need to evaluate both the pros and cons of online schooling and prepare for the challenges as per.