• News : 25 JUN 2021 – Ministry of Housing and
Urban Affairs 6th year – three transformative Urban Missions
Smart Cities Mission (SCM)
Atal Mission for Urban Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-
• 45 years – National Institute of Urban Affairs
Autonomous body Ministry of Housing and Urban affairs.
Body – bridge the gap between research and
practice on issues related to urbanization.
Smart cities Mission
• Cities – engines of growth for the economy of every nation, including India.
• Urban areas – 40% of India’s population and contribute 75% of India’s GDP by 2030
• Need – physical, institutional, social and
• Major role – improving the quality of life as well as in attracting people and
investments to the city.
• Smart City – wish list of infrastructure and
• Urban eco-system – four pillars of comprehensive development – institutional,
physical, social and economic infrastructure .
Core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens
A clean and sustainable environment
Application of ‘Smart’ Solutions.
• Purpose – drive economic growth and improve the quality of life of people .
• Operated as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme
• Core infrastructure elements – Smart City :
Adequate water supply
Assured electricity supply
Sanitation, including solid waste management
Efficient urban mobility and public transport
Affordable housing, especially for the poor
Robust IT connectivity and digitalization
Good governance, especially e-Governance and
Safety and security
Health and education.
• Scheme – Centrally Sponsored Scheme
Atal Mission for Urban Rejuvenation and Urban
• To provide basic services to households and build
amenities in cities .
Ensure that every household has access to a
tap with the assured supply of water and a sewerage connection.
To Increase the amenity value of cities by developing greenery and well maintained open spaces like parks.
To reduce pollution by switching to public
transport or constructing facilities for non- motorized transport.
Sewerage and septage management
Storm water drainage
Development of green spaces and parks.
• Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) will strive to include some smart features in the physical infrastructure components.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U).
• Flagship Mission of Government of India.
• Implemented – Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. Addresses – urban housing
shortage among the Economically Weaker
Sections / Low Income Group and Medium Income Groups • Demand driven approach
• Mission – Ownership of houses in name of female member or in joint name.
• Preference differently abled persons, senior citizens, SCs, STs, OBCs, Minority, single women, transgender and other weaker & vulnerable sections of the society.
• Adopts – cafeteria approach to suit the needs of individuals
India’s Smart Cities Awards 2020 :
Uttar Pradesh to be ranked one followed by Madhya Pradesh in the second place
and Tamil Nadu in the third place.
Indore and Surat were – Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry for their work
under the Smart Cities Mission.
• 22% in terms of the total value of the projects proposed and 52% in terms of the total number of projects proposed by the
100 Smart Cities had been completed so far.