All of us at some point of our life have played some game, at least candy crush. So why not we know what the pros and cons are. We see Indian parents being against gaming and thinking it as a sin or something but is it really that bad? I have seen streamers play for 25 hours for their 25th birthday, is it that good for health?
Pros of gaming
- Gaming is not actually that bad. There is good as well as a bad side for everything in this world just like gaming. Gaming improves our logical thinking and reflexes. As a gamer myself I can say that I have seen improving in the particular game by learning all tactics and stuff. So it is not a waste of time.
- Social skills – Gamers can easily develop their social skills. If it is a multiplayer game, you need to communicate with your teammates. You will be communicating with people from various places and over time you will find yourself making a bunch of gamer friends online.
- I am not sure about physical health but it does improve your mental health. My go-to mood changes is always gaming. It is like you sunk into the virtual world, so obviously you forget your life problems and have a good game. You will be inside the virtual world thinking how to kill this guy, how to win this match etc. and that would be your major problem at that time.
- Increases brain function. You give your brain exercise by thinking deeply about how to win this match or something. Video games gives us a reason to implement reasoning and logical ability.
Cons of gaming
- Health issues – I am not a doctor to find out what exactly it does to our eyes or health but I do know it is not good for our eyes to sit and play for more than 3 hours. For me 3 hours is the maximum, if I play beyond that I tend to get headaches. Obviously screen time should be reduced as everything now is done online. So it is better if we start playing outdoor games.
- Too much of anything is good for nothing. Addiction is bad no matter what is it. That too addiction towards gaming is going to affect you mentally and physically as well. You can play games daily for a limited time but you can’t play the whole day.
- The amount of negativity in the gaming community is more than negativity in any other place. I encounter with toxic players everyday. It is just easy for them to be toxic and hurt you as they are hiding behind a fake identity “game name”.
- Not concentrating on other works. Going into the virtual world and never coming back to the real world is another problem. Again we need to know our limits of when to stop gaming. Anything in limit is not harmful according to me.
The only reason why parents are against gaming is that we tend to play for hours and hours and spoil our health which our parents obviously don’t like. So let them know that few hours of gaming is good and not going to affect anyone and have fun!