Yoga has a Sanskrit root, meaning ‘to unite.’ Yoga is a body and mind practise that includes yoga asanas, breathing exercises, and meditation. It is an ancient practice that originated in India. As per the scriptures, Lord Shiva is said to be the father of Yoga.
ADVANTAGES OF YOGA
- Improves flexibility.
- Manage stress.
- Helps to sleep better.
- Mental health.
- Refresh our minds.
- Builds muscles strength.
- Increases blood flow.
- Boost Metabolism.
- Unite mind and body.
- Helps to relieve back pain.
- Helps in digestion.
There can be another list for the use of yoga. Yoga won’t just help you lose fat but also builds flexibility and manage stress by refreshing your mind. After a hectic day, try practising yoga for an hour. You can notice changes.
YOGA FOR KIDS
When can kids start yoga? They could start if they can understand the instructions. Kids usually are active. They tend to do yoga in a hurry, it’s our responsibility to make sure they follow the instructions properly.
Kids of age 4 and above can start practising yoga. Do not introduce all yoga asanas to kids. Start with breathing, meditation, and simple asanas. Yoga improved balance, strength, concentration, memory, focus, self-esteem and it can help with anxiety for children.
Studies and research have found out that children who practice yoga can see various improvements. The instructions should be fun to follow to induce the interest of kids.
WHO CAN DO YOGA? DO’S AND DON’TS
Almost anyone can do it regardless of age. It is powerful as it can unite body and mind. Yoga should not be done in rush. Consult a health expert before starting your practice.
- It should be done slowly.
- Try to do it early in the morning.
- Try to do it in an open space, with fresh air and sunlight.
- Sweating, urge to urinate is normal after doing yoga. Don’t suppress urine for a long time.
- Try yoga on an empty stomach, if you feel dehydrated sip a little amount of water or drink lukewarm water with honey.
- Breathing exercises are beneficial especially during covid period.
- Do not do yoga in hurry.
- Avoid yoga if you are sick.
- Can avoid during periods.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 mins after doing yoga.
- Do not hold stiffen your body.
- Don’t skip meditation and breathing exercises. Yoga sessions should end with those.
After having your meal wait for an hour to start your practice. After your yoga session wait for half an hour to shower, eat, and drink.
Yoga is vital for individuals addiction recovery. As meditation and yoga focus on uniting body and mind, they can help us focus on the addiction. However, for addiction recovery yoga is not the only solution.
COVID AND YOGA
was is a huge crisis. People lost their job, family, friends, and close ones. Livelihood is not the same anymore. It takes time for us to be stable again. One of the things that help us maintain our health can be yoga.
Yoga can be highly effective considering the advantages. Immunity is vital to fight covid. Yoga helps as an immunity booster, relatively better mental health and well-being. Since covid affects the lungs, breathing exercises are crucial to strengthen the lungs.
“Yoga is the journey of the self,
through the self, to the self.”
Let’s discuss the asanas in yoga and asanas for kids, in part 2.