A human-centered approach to innovation in which you will transform the products and services based on the customer needs and by thinking creative ideas is known as design thinking. One of the most interesting approaches in developing a product is design thinking. Design thinking is an agile method. In this, we continuously identify the problem and find an appropriate solution that is both innovative and fulfills the customer’s needs. When design thinking is applied while developing a new product, the essence of the product will be valued more. The designers have to think out of the box to produce a good product. Design thinking transforms the focus from a business-centric approach to a customer-centric approach. The design should achieve the purpose and business goals and not just the beauty. Designers have several tools to assist them in conducting research, ideate solutions, and explore use cases to find the best solution to the problem.
IMPORTANCE OF DESIGN THINKING IN BUSINESS
- All businesses will have never-ending goals. They want to produce new products that attract customers and helps to increase sales. When design thinking is applied, It can save vast amounts of money because it directs the attention to the particular solution the customer expects. The Return on Investment (ROI) of design thinking realizes the immediate cost savings.
- Most of the software fails due to the following reasons: Not understanding the customer requirements, Lack of communication between customers and developers, and stakeholder policies. Fixing errors at the end of the development of the product will be 1000 times expensive than the cost before development. Design thinking provides a simple way to improve on by looking at what exactly the problems are and provides insights and data that are critical to building appropriate solutions.
- The first and foremost step to understand how design thinking is working is by knowing the current challenges faced in the business. Complex problems are broken down into tangible ones that can be analyzed and solved is the biggest advantage in design thinking. Creating cultural change across all projects and initiatives is what it takes.
- Design is a creative team. The team of artists who create branding elements like logos, emoji, icons, and print advertisements. Design thinking is identified as a competitive advantage in businesses. In business, it helps to identify, understand and address the problems that affect customer relationships. Another big challenge to the organizations is measuring the return on investment (ROI) of design thinking.
- By applying design thinking to business operations, we can able to see the change in overall performance compared to the previous workflow.
- Businesses have come to recognize the importance of design thinking. The essence of design thinking in business is demonstrated by some famous organizations like Apple, Microsoft, Disney, Zoho, Infosys, TCS, Cisco, TATA Motors, Hyundai, Maruti, M&M, and IBM.
- Whether you’re a CEO, a marketer, or a designer, or an engineer, there are some reasons why you should invest in design thinking. By investing in design thinking, it decreases the cost of customer support, a little up-front UX research can save hundreds of engineering hours, and improving your User experience (UX) saves a lot of money.
DESIGN THINKING COURSES
It is originated in Sanford University. Currently, design thinking is one of the sought courses and has its applications in many fields like healthcare, education, agriculture, financial services, environmental sustainability, etc. Nowadays many big software companies have made design thinking to be a mandatory skill for each of the employees. Many leading universities around the world including d.school, Stanford, Harvard, and MIT offer a course on design thinking. A separate master’s degree course on Product Design is offered in IITs and IISc in India. We can get admission for post-graduate studies in the field of technological design by writing CEED (Common Entrance Examination for Design).