When companies need written material, they typically use either a copywriter or a content writer. These types of writers specialize in creating marketing content for business. Understanding the difference between the two roles can help your company decide which one they need for your written content.
WHAT IS COPYWRITING?
Copywriting is the creation of text for the advertisement or marketing of one specific company. It aim to raise brand awareness and persuade an audience to take a particular action, such as purchase an item. To do this, copywriters make their content interesting and memorable. Copywriting highlighting a product’s features by structuring it in the best possible perspective through brainstorming creative ideas. Some forms of copywriting include brochures, billboards, email campaigns, taglines, magazine advertisements, press releases, etc. The common job responsibilities of a copywriter is writing copy to follow the brand’s voice and style, collaborating with public relations team and other professionals on marketing projects, editing and proofreading copy to ensure accuracy and speaking with stakeholders to determine their content needs and requirements.
WHAT IS CONTENT WRITING?
Content writing is the production of written materials to inform reader. These professionals strive to generate web traffic, using search engine optimization(SEO). Content writer also try to increase customer engagement with persuasive language and relevant content. They generate specialized materials for websites and other digital medium. During the process, content writers often research their topics to provide necessary facts for readers to understand topics fully and provide credibility. Some forms of content writing include blogs, newspaper articles, webpages, email newsletters, magazine feature, etc. The common job responsibility of a content writer is conducting research on industry related topics to create content, editing and proofreading content to improve readability for viewers, researching keywords and using SEO practices to improve web traffic to the company’s website, generating interesting headlines to attract readers and completing projects within designated deadlines. We can see Schreib es Mir is a good example of copywriting in the German language.
COPYWRITING VS CONTENT WRITING
- OVERALL GOAL- A copywriter creates content to persuade their readers, whereas a content writer produces content to inform their readers. Since copywriters are trying to sell a product or service, their copy ends with a call to action. Content writers have a more subtle goal of encouraging brand loyalty through writing articles that educate and entertain.
- LENGTH OF CONTENT- Typically, a copywriter writes short form copy and a content writers long form. Copywriters keep their text brief to engage their readers. However, content writers often write more in depth explaining a process or topic.
- ROLE WITHIN A COMPANY- A copywriter is a professional whose primary job is to create copy. Content writer often have other roles beyond writing. They may be an author, blogger, executive, software engineer or other individuals.
- TONE OF WRITING- Copywriters use a conversational tone when speaking to their viewers. Because content writers are more informative, their tone is often more formal.
- DEADLINES- Copywriters work on strict deadlines to meet their client’s requests. Since copywriters write longer content, their deadlines are usually more flexible to allow time for research.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT- Copywriters typically work for an advertising agency marketing for a company. Content writers work for a variety of companies from various industries. copywriters often work directly with a company, whereas content writers work through a third party.
SKILLS FOR COPYWRITING-
- Copywriters work for a variety of sectors, making it helpful to have experience writing for different fields, such as healthcare or technology.
- To attract users, copywriters are empathetic in their writing to make their audience feel good.
- Since copywriters work closely with marketing teams, it’s helpful for them to be a team player and work well with others.
SKILLS FOR CONTENT WRITING-
- Since content writers are trying to generate traffic to a business’s website, they use SEO and keywords to direct users.
- To generate informative copy, content writers conduct research from other sources to back up their claims and facts.
- In order to attract readers, content writers produce captivating headlines that make viewers want to read their articles.