National Doctor’s Day is celebrated on 1 July in India. Doctor’s are highly respected in the world, in which they are worshipped in India. By the way, man is not capable of comparing him to the God, but the doctor has achieved this status through his work. By the way, life is not human, but death is in the hands of God, but now God has given the right to give experience to a person by making him a doctor. We call this life donor a doctor, who gives birth to us, as well as sometimes saves us from death. In the field of medicine, doctor have progressed day by day. Today, a doctor can cure the most significant diseases. With the help of the wonders of science, doctors are able to reach here today. Celebrations are made to honour and salute the doctor’s dedication, work, loyalty and honesty.
Since it is celebrated on different days in different countries, the history of celebrating this day is also our own. Doctor’s Day in India was started in 1991 by the then Government of India. Since then every year, the first date of July is established to be recognized and celebrating as National Doctor’s Day. This day was ensured to honour and pay tribute to the legendary doctor and other Chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, across India. He was born on July 1, 1882, A.D in Patna city, Bihar, and died on this day 80 years later. He was a noted physician and renowned educationist of the country as well as a freedom fighter because he participated in the movements made by Mahatma Gandhi, and also took care of him in his fast. After Independence, he became the leader of the Indian National Congress Party and then later became the Chief Minister of West Bengal. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna Award in February 1961. Apart from this, Dr. BC Roy National Award was instituted in 1976 to remember him. The award was to pay him respect and tribute. Therefore, to honour and remember such a great personality National Doctor’s Day was started.
Be a person; a doctor plays a vital role in everyone’s life. On one hand, doctor play an essential role for the people, and on the other, doctor’s also fulfill their responsibilities towards their patients. In such a situation, his honour should be a matter of pride of us. For this purpose, the Government of India has started it as an awareness campaign, which is an annual festival and it helps the familiar people to become aware of the role, importance and precious care of doctors. This annual festival of doctor’s is a day of encouragement for all the doctors. This day is an eye opening day for those doctor’s who are not honest about their profession. By celebrating this day, he has awakened from his failed career due to a lack of commitment towards his job.
HOW TO CELEBRATE THIS DAY?
People celebrate this day in their way. But some organizations celebrate it in the following way-
- On this day, health care organizations organize some medical checkup camps for the general public in many health centers and free public places.
- In addition, general screening test camps are also organized between poor and senior citizens to assess health status, health counselling, talks on health nutrition and awareness of chronic diseases.
- Free blood test, random sugar test, ECG, EEG, blood pressure checkup, etc. activities are organized to make aware of the critical roles of doctor’s in everyone’s life.
- To encourage more young students toward the dedicated medical profession; some activities are organized at the level of schools and colleges, which discuss medical topics, quiz competitions, sports activities, new to make the medical profession more reliable and more responsible.
- On July 1, most of the patients thank doctor’s and give them greeting cards, appreciation cards, bouquets, greeting messages through mail,etc. Special meetings, parties, and dinners are organized at health centers, hospitals, nursing homes or homes by doctor’s to remember the days of doctors and the importance of their contribution to the medical profession.