E-learning system was one which wasn’t preferred by everybody before the pandemic. A live classroom session can never be the same as an online class session. In my opinion, classes through the internet are not generally interactive as much as a live class session because individuals might feel a little shy or uncomfortable with online interactions. There are chances for less clarity or more misunderstanding between a group or individuals. Nothing can actually beat the comfortability of attending live classroom sessions. But online classes are not that really bad!! Though they are used in rare cases, they are still quite helpful. They are technological improvements to help man save time, money and energy. In the present condition where people are battling bravely against the coronavirus pandemic, schools, college and other educational institutions are shut down. There was no time for these institutions to weigh the positives and negatives of e-learning because it became the necessary default. It is because of the improvements in technology that a child is not stopped from learning. The present generation is already accustomed to the use of technology and therefore it is a blessing in disguise because there would be no problem in the context of adjusting or learning or comfortability. E-leaning has provided a virtual place for individuals and mentors to interact with each other, learn and grow. They do have some pros and cons which are discussed below:
PROS OF E-LEARNING:
- COST EFFECTIVE- E-learning is useful because it can be accessed from any desired destination. It is a least cost way to learn any course or subject. One just needs a computer or mobile phone and there is no need for any other materials or tools. It is the most affordable learning option without any difficulties.
- FASTER DELIVERY- Generally, the organisation of real training sessions requires a lot of time and money. With the invention of e-learning, all these costs are not incurred due to virtual classrooms and sessions.
- ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY- Nowadays, there is a lot of campaigns and awareness programmes about pollution. E-learning has not only allowed people to learn from their comfortable place but also prevented pollution from their vehicles.
- PERSONALIZED TRAINING EXPERIENCE- A person can attend their trainings at their own pace in e-learning because during real classes, the trainers might move on faster will trainees find it difficult to adapt to the pace.
- INTERNET CONNECTION- Internet connection is 24*7 and a person can attend their course anytime, anywhere at their comfort.
- ENCOURAGES INDEPENDENT LEARNING- An individual needn’t be dependent on somebody to learn something. A small pay for a training or course can help a person to learn independently without hassles.
CONS OF E-LEARNING:
- TECHNOLOGY ACCESS- E-learners have to use technology in order to access the courses and trainings. The learner may neither have an experience or knowledge to use the technology nor an internet connection.
- TECHNICAL GLITCHES- E-learning comes with a lot of technical glitches which are not very easy to rectify. It needs a technical knowledge to handle such a situation. Thus, in such situations the absence of such knowledge can provide problems to a person.
- PEER INTERACTION- There would be less of peer interaction. There is anonymity between the fellow mates attending the same training. Except the trainer, we never know who is on the other side of the screen.
RELEVANT LINKS: https://www.indiainfoline.com/article/general-editors-choice/how-is-online-education-helping-offline-education-during-the-lockdown-121062500209_1.html https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/definition/e-learning https://e-student.org/what-is-e-learning/