Robotics is a combination of the two academic disciplines which are computer science and engineering. Robotics field includes design, construction and operation of robots. Robots are designed for particular purposes and they are programmed with necessary requirements to do the given work. The ultimate motive of robotics is to create machines that can perform humanly activities and assist humans. Despite of these two academic disciplines, robotics combines many fields of engineering like computer engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, information engineering, software engineering mathematics etc.
They are mainly used in manufacturing industries to do repetitive activities. They are also used in dangerous environments nowadays such as bomb detection, bomb deactivation etc.
Initially robots were designed to do a particular work which was hard for humans to do. But as of now there are many industries that make use of robots for various types of work where one kind of robot is particularly designed do that particular work and not anything else. So this can be classified into many sectors. They are,
- Military robots – These robots are used for many military applications. Some applications are detection of explosive materials, Sniper detection, surveillance etc.
- Industrial robots – These robots are used in industries with manufacturing works where the machine would do repetitive human tasks. They also reduce the use of labors in the factory. Robots are increasingly used in this field.
- Agricultural robots – These robots are deployed for the purpose of agriculture. In this field also, robots replace humans by doing their tasks like seeding, harvesting, soil analysis. Initially, agricultural robots were invented with the motive for deploying it in the harvesting stage.
- Medical robots – It is a risky field to deploy robots to perform medical tasks.
- The da Vinci Surgical Robot – There has been many deaths in the US due to surgical errors. In order to avoid it, surgical robots are used. The da Vinci surgical robot is a multiarmed robot used during surgeries. The arms of the robot is nothing but various tiny, accurate precision instruments that can be used during surgeries in order to decrease surgical error deaths. Surgeons make use of this multiarmed robot, move the hands and perform surgery. It also has great range of motion.
- The Xenex Germ-Zapping Robot – This is another robot that is used in hospitals. Hospital acquired infections has became a thing now, and it requires a proper solution to avoid it. This robot is used to clean and disinfect the hospital rooms by using pulsed, full spectrum UV rays. The Xenex germ-zapping robot is as important and useful as the da Vinci surgical robot. These are just two examples but there are many other robots that are used in the medical field.
- Domestic robots – As the name suggests domestic robots are robots designed for domestic purposes to perform simple household activities. Some examples are ironing robots, robotic vacuum cleaner, robotic lawn mower. These are not those kind of robots used for sensitive and dangerous situations but simple robots that just replaces humans with household works.
- Robots are meant to replace humans but it not just replace humans but does the work better and faster than humans.
- They are predictable as they don’t have emotions. They are programmed to behave in a certain way so we know what we can expect while humans on the other hand are complex creatures.
- They don’t take rest. As long as the power source for the robot is available, the robot can’t refuse to do a certain work.
- The advantages may turn as a disadvantage at times, robots work without taking rest as long as it has it’s power source. But what if there is not power, that is when we become helpless, without it the robot is just a machine that does nothing.
- They are programmed in a certain way and that is a disadvantage too. Because the robot can’t behave beyond what is programmed, it sticks to it’s job which may lead to failures when the situation becomes way different than what is programmed.
- They are expensive. There is a lot of work done behind a robot and it is way more expensive than we think. If it was cheap we would be having robots all over the world.