Mental wellbeing describes one’s mental state , how a person feels and how well can an individual cope with the day to day hustle. It is more of a lifestyle decision . It is a dynamic concept, and does changes from moment to moment.
Mental wellbeing and mental health are not the same, but both exert influence on the other. Poor mental wellbeing can lead to mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and so on. At the same time, a person with poor mental health will eventually have low mental wellbeing. Basically, though both are not the same, but they are strongly interrelated.
Good Mental Wellbeing
Merely the absence of negative thoughts and feelings can not be labelled as having good mental health. Feeling of anger, sadness, are normal for an individual to experience, what matters is how an individual deals with those emotions. A person with good mental wellbeing ,
• Feels confident with themselves
• Has good interpersonal relationships
• Has a sense of purpose in life
• Has good adaptability
• Works efficiently and productively
• Has good coping skills when faced with stressful situation
Things affecting Mental Wellbeing
Human beings are different. The same stimulus might not trigger the same response from everyone. What affect someone’s mental wellbeing, might not impact someone else in the same way. Mostly it is the individual’s personality that dictates what will affect their mental wellbeing.
However their are certain situation which trigger everyone, through not in the same intensity. These situation are some major life changes on which an individual have little to no control.
Some common life events which may affect someone’s mental wellbeing are:
• Loss or bereavement
• Financial crisis
• Work related problems
• Relationship issues
Other than these factors, there are also factors that increases one’s vulnerability to have poor mental wellbeing. These are:
• Childhood abuse
• Poor socio economic condition
• Long term physical health condition
• Significant traumatic experience in adulthood
Tips to Improve Mental Wellbeing
Mental wellbeing is usually not given its due credit and is mostly taken for granted. All it takes is a few tips that can help improve our mental wellbeing. These are:
• Getting enough sleep and rest : Our sleep cycle has a direct impact on our mental wellbeing. A person who gets a proper 8 hours of sleep has a better mental health than anyone those who doesn’t.
• Engaging in activities one enjoys : Taking out time for those activities which a person enjoys doing is of utmost importance. Though in our fast phase life it is difficult, but balancing is the key.
• Proper diet : One’s dietary habits not only impacts their physical health but also mental health. Proper diet and exercise boasts our energy level and improves our overall wellbeing.
• Interpersonal relationships : The relationship one has with others has a direct impact on our wellbeing. An individual with strong connection with others is usually more contented and satisfied in life.
• Stress management skills : An individual’s ability to cope with stressful situation adds up to one’s mental wellbeing. Effective stress management is a life skill. Yoga, meditation, exercise can boast one’s stress management skills.
• Being confidence : A confident individual who is comfortable with their own skin show higher degree of mental wellbeing. The feeling of prolong insecure can be the reason of poor mental health.
Mental wellbeing is of utmost importance