Anorexia nervosa is eating disorder and is characterized by irrational fear of weight gain. Individuals suffering from anorexia nervosa are obsessed with their weight. These individual tend to exercise and diet to such a point that their body weight is grossly below optimum. These individuals perceive themselves as over weight even if they are extremely under weight. They self starve to a point that it imposes serious threat to life and wellbeing.
Eating disorder is a mental disorder that is characterized by irregular eating and severe body image issues. Anorexia nervosa being a kind of eating disorder include all.
Anorexia nervosa is extremely common in women. Especially modern urban women are at high risk, though men are catching up fast. Women aged 15-24 commonly report eating disorders. Reports also show that people as young as 7 may also develop symptoms of eating disorders.
Sign and Symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa
There are a multitude of symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, which ranges from physical to emotional and behavioural symptoms.
• Extreme weight loss
• Dizziness and fainting
• Extremely thin appearance
• Hair loss
• Constipation and abdominal pain
• Reduced blood count
• Irregular heartbeat
• Intolerance to cold
• Dry pale skin
• Irregular menstruation
• Swelling arms and legs
Emotional and behavioural symptoms
• Severely limiting food intake by dieting or fasting
• Excessive exercising
• Self induced vomiting
• Frequently skipping meal or refusing to eat
• Denial of hunger
• Refusing to eat in public
• Following a specific diet, even if it does not include necessary nutrition
• Irrational fear of gaining weight
• Reduced sexual desires
• Social withdrawal
• Lack of interest in social activities
• Frequent mood swings
• Complaining about being fat, even when they are excessively thin
• Frequently checking in the mirror for perceiving flaws
Treating Anorexia Nervosa
Dealing with Anorexia Nervosa, or any other eating disorder for that matter is extremely difficult. It is not a one day thing. Dealing with Anorexia Nervosa is a long process.
Below mentioned are some ways to treat eating disorders, including Anorexia Nervosa.
• Medical care and monitoring: Anyone suffering from eating disorder usually has some inbuilt causes for it. Dealing with the health issues caused due to eating disorder is of primary importance. Thus medical care and monitoring is of utmost importance.
• Nutritional intake: It involves restoring normal weight and stabilizing the same. Proper and balanced diet is of prime importance in this stage.
• Therapy: Therapeutic help can help the individual to know about the underlying cause of eating disorder. It not only help individual to overcome the disorder, by also help develop self confidence and self esteem.
• Medication: Medication is helpful in dealing with anxiety and mood disorder that is usually associated with eating disorder. However medication should only be consumed when prescribed by a health professional.
Though there is no hard and fast rule on which in the most effective way to deal with eating disorder. Every one differs and so does the proportion of effectiveness of each treatment on each individual. Most medical health professionals however suggest the different combination of all the four treatments depending on the physical, mental and emotional state of the individual. Consulting a mental health professionals is the key.