It happens with just about everything in my life: After enough time of taking note of an equivalent song over and once again or having an equivalent thing for lunch every day of the week, eventually, I get disgusted by the repetition. Eventually, I need a break or a change of scenery. But the one thing that I never get disgusted during this life is watching Friends episodes because I could watch that show again and again. No matter what percentage times I watch that show — regardless of what percentage marathons I host — I will be able to never get disgusted watching Friends. There is no season I wouldn’t watch, no episode I wouldn’t tease. That television program is my lobster: the thing I select to like for the remainder of my life, for the remainder of eternity.
And I have some pretty good reasons for it.
1. All the characters in FRIENDS are simple, with no extra fluff, the spoiled but independent Rachel, the neat freak and formerly fat Monica, the goofy and lovable Chandler, the weird hippie Phoebe, the intellectual Ross, and the lovely, food lover Joey. You connect with them in some way or the other. All the characters are downright lovable and they grow on you.
2. The situations they went through are realistic for every twenty-something. All of the characters were struggling either with their careers or their love lives, or both simultaneously.
3. Their jokes are evergreen, I laughed once and I will laugh a 1000 times at the same joke. The humor is intelligent, the sarcasm is unbeatable. It was not like only one or two characters were entitled to a good punch line, in fact the writers made sure that every good joke and punch line was distributed equally among all the characters.
4. Some of the dialogues, phrases and scenes are undoubtedly iconic, be it the “PIVOT” scene, “WE WERE ON A BREAK”, Monica’s “I KNOW, I KNOW”, Janice’s “OH MY GOD”, Joey’s “HOW YOU DOIN” they are simply the best.
5. It makes you believe in love, no matter how much of a cynic you are. If Chandler can find a soulmate, so can you. And that falling in love with your best friend can eventually end beautifully. When you have your lobster, hold on to them.
6. But most importantly, FRIENDS continues to re-instill the faith in us that eventually, we will all have a happy ending. There is no other sitcom that can make you feel as wonderful as FRIENDS, because it’s a reflection of our lives- a story of 6 20-somethings trying to find their way in the world, just like we are, and of finally making it. Their happy ending is the best happy ending anyone could ever ask for. The show may have ended, but the legacy will always remain. And that makes every FRIENDS fan ecstatic.