What is self awareness?
In layman terms, self awareness can be defined as ability to see one’s own self in a third person perspective
To be self-aware means to have knowledge of
- how others perceive you
- how you affect people around you
- how and why you react to certain situations in certain ways
There are three major types of awareness that we as SELVES can have:
- Exteriorceptive Awareness
- Vision – the awareness of a visual field of view outside of our own bodies and all that we can recognize as either familiar or unfamiliar gestalten. Sight uses a projection area in the posterior brain where the interpretations of images are made.
- Hearing – the awareness of vibrations, words, noise, music and random sounds that come through our ears in recognizable or unrecognizable ways. Hearing has a computation apparatus as does sight .
- Smell – the most primitive awareness type that goes straight to the rhinencephalon without any projection area in between. It is the most precise of the senses in that a single smell of spices can make us feel like we are sitting in the kitchen while mommy puts these spices in the container on burning stove. Smell gives us the true sense of taste of food because taste is quite limited in the variety it can contemplate.
- Taste – taste only has 5 of all gustatory sensations…..Sweet, Salt, Sour, Bitter, Umami (a flavor which appears in meats)
- Touch – not only everything we touch with our fingers give us tactile awareness but also skin along with its derivatives is the largest organ of our body. Everything that impacts or grazes or rests against the skin must be sensed to be aware of our immediate surroundings.
- Interiorceptive Awareness:
- All thinking and contemplation
- All paranoid thoughts and anxiety
- All beliefs, in including Religion, faith, all the way to Atheism, are parts of mental awareness
- Subconscious drivers about which we have almost none awareness, have to be brought into awareness through psychotherapy or hypnotherapy.
- Imagined things regarding others or about a sensory input (like a creak in the floor boards is a ghost). Imagining is the most frequent thing our brain does and the problem with it is that we accept it for truth many times. Right now, I’m imagining that you wanted all this detail but that could just be my tendency to give as much information as possible.
- Proprioceptive Awareness
- The primary feelings are:
- All subdermal and physical pain is found in proprioceptive awareness.
- All pleasure is also a part of proprioceptive awareness.
- The primary feelings are:
Now these basic zones of awareness relates to SELF AWARENESS only and not to the larger awareness of the self in the contextual surroundings or how we perceive (theoretically imagine others) or correctly perceive physiognomic Isomorphism.
What self awareness is not and what is?
Self-awareness should not be confused with permanent enlightenment or a state of bliss (and similar terms suggestive of having an out of body experience on either ones or on constant basis).
Being self-aware is the result of intense observation and contemplation of both the self and the environment.
Sustaining the self-aware state while being aware of one’s environment is a necessity. A certain state of remoteness from both the state of self-awareness and the awareness of one’s environment is part of the training gone through by those wishing to learn self-awareness
Intuition in its truest is a congruent internal awareness in all three zones about a person or action in any environment. When People say, “Think about it!” But what it this really means is, “Fantasize and imagine what is happening.” When People say, “Trust your senses!!” which basically means, “Even if it is an optical illusion you should head toward that oasis.” also, when people say, “Trust your feelings!!!” But this means, “No matter how paranoid or delusional or untrusting or suspicious or jealous or hurt you are feeling that your feelings are 100% trustworthy.” But, trusting our feelings during a fight is something we rarely can do. Sense is awareness. But, INTUITION is the King of Self Awareness.
Is being self aware good
The deeper the understanding and comprehension, the higher the level of self awareness. Everyone can be at different stages at different ages and in different environments. As long as one keeps asking questions and searching for answers he/she will always move up levels. But being aware ,going up levels is not always a good thing.
Sometimes self awareness can bring about great sadness and dissatisfaction. The realization of our petty pleasures, our materialistic desires, our lonely existence, our hypocrisies, our illusory , our beliefs and all those things that one should not realize, contemplate, can be very dangerous and do not always lead to happy endings.
Ignorance is as necessary as self awareness but self awareness is more important than not being ignorant and unaware.