Psychology is a study of human mind, behavior and how it influences their overall personality. If you are a person who loves to know about every aspects of human mind, then you should definitely go for a career in the same. Psychology is something that most people has interest in but refuse to make a career out of it thinking that there is no scope! Let me tell you, no career is any lesser than other careers if you are truly into it. Let us know some basics about career in psychology.
Types of job roles in psychology
- Career counsellors – Career counsellors are people who gives advice on choosing the right career paths for students who are in need of them. Choosing a career is one of the important decisions that we need to make in our lives and we need career counsellors to properly guide us towards the right path. You may think anyone can do that, even my aunt can do that. The difference is these people focus more on the suitable path for you rather than comparing jobs based on salary. They will first conduct tests to analyze your personality, interests, skills, intelligence level etc. You can opt for this job role if you believe you have enough knowledge about different career paths.
- Forensic psychologist – Forensic psychologists are professionals who work with police investigators. They are taken along with the investigators to crime scenes where they are needed for crime investigation and law cases. Psychologists are much suited for investigates since they know how human brain works, they know how to get the truth from the criminal.
- Clinical psychologists – Clinical psychologists have their own clinics or they work in hospitals. They deal with patients with mental illness and emotional disorders. They are professionals whoa are highly trained in diagnosis and psychological treatment. They conduct research and experiments on various psychology related topics to get better understanding of clinical psychology.
- Educational psychologists – Educational psychologists learn about the learning process of our brain, and differences in learning of individuals. They are professionals who work in schools or colleges where they help the students who are suffering with mental issues. Educational sector can be hectic at times and makes the students suffer with random disorders. We have always needed people to talk when we feel suffocated from school/college works. Well, that is why educational psychologists exist.
Myths about career in psychology
- “You can’t become a psychologist if you are an introvert” – It doesn’t matter whether you are an introvert or an extrovert if you have enough knowledge and the ability to cure patients with mental illness, If you can communicate your thoughts and give advice to your patients, then you can totally pursue that.
- “Psychologists can read minds” – Absolutely not, they have greater understanding of human personality and behavior with which they can infer your state of mind but they can’t read minds!