Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Most people infected with the virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. However, some will become seriously ill and require medical attention. Older people and those with underlying medical conditions like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, or cancer are more likely to develop serious illnesses. Anyone can get sick with COVID-19 and become seriously ill or die at any age.
Myths about Covid19
- Can Covid-19 be transmitted through goods produced in countries where there is ongoing transmission?
Although it can last on surfaces for many hours, the environment, transportation, and varying temperatures during shipment make it difficult for the virus to remain active. If you feel the surface may be contaminated, clean it with a disinfectant and wash your hands after touching it.
- Can Covid-19 be transmitted through mosquitoes?
There is no evidence that the novel coronavirus can be transmitted through mosquitoes. The virus can be spread through droplets from coughing, sneezing or a patient’s saliva.
- How can we be sure that our clothes don’t spread coronavirus 2019?
Besides showering every day, you should wash your clothes using detergent or soap in 60-90 ํC water or add bleach. Dry the clothes in a high-temperature dryer or the sun.
- Can drinking alcohol help prevent Covid-19?
Drinking alcohol, such as beer, liquor, wine doesn’t help prevent coronavirus. You should wash your hands often, wear masks, and avoid being close to those with a fever and cough.
- Is it true that Covid-19 is transmitted in a cold climate and not in a hot and humid climate?
Coronavirus 2019 can be transmitted in any kind of climate. Wherever you are, no matter what kind of climate, you have to practice personal hygiene, i.e. wash your hands often, cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough, and wear masks.
- Can digital thermometers be 100% effective in detecting Covid-19 patients?
It may take the virus 1-14 days to incubate and cause symptoms like fever, so it cannot be used to identify asymptomatic patients.
- Can UV bulbs use for disinfecting be used to kill Covid-19 on our body?
Don’t use UV bulbs on your hands or any part of the body because UV light can irritate your skin.
- Can spraying alcohol or chlorine on your body kill the virus inside?
Besides not being able to kill the virus inside your body, it could damage clothes and other tissues like eyes and lips.
- Can eating garlic prevent covid-19?
Though garlic has some anti-microbial properties, there is no evidence that it can prevent Covid-19.
- Can Pneumonia vaccine prevent Covid-19?
This virus is new and different from other strains. We need a vaccine that is developed specifically. The research team is working on this through the support of the WHO.
- Can rinsing your nose regularly with saline solution prevent Covid-19?
Evidence has indicated that rinsing your nose with saline solution can help us recover faster from the common cold, but cannot prevent infectious respiratory diseases or Covid-19.
- Is there any drug that can prevent and treat Covid-19?
At present, no drug can prevent and treat the disease. Patients should receive proper and supportive care to alleviate the symptoms. WHO is accelerating research with all the partners to actively study the treatment for the disease.
References: WHO(World Health Organisation)