Education is our birth right. Education is essential for every human being as it makes our lives better and worth living. Therefore schooling has become a norm and children at the age of 4 starts attending school. But in many areas of the country, still, if the child is a girl, then there are many hindrances to her access to education. The common perception is that the girls of the family will get married one day and would not contribute to the financial needs of the family. This is a disheartening picture and it is very essential to make people understand that education of women is a fundamental right just like men.
No society can progress without the contribution of women. Therefore women needs to be educated. Education is the first step to provide a woman the power to choose a life she wants to lead. An educated woman becomes aware of her rights and raise her voice against exploitation, discrimination or any form of injustice. The struggle to promote women education has begun long time back and even in the 21st century it is still continuing. When talking about women education in India, the mention of Savitribai Phule and her husband Jyotirao Phule has to be made who established India’s first school for girls in Pune in the year 1848.
Importance of Women Education
Self Reliance : An educated woman need not depend on a third person for her survival.
Elimination of crime against women : Education is a vital weapon in eliminating crimes and evils against women. Social customs such as dowry, female infanticides and other harmful practices can be eradicated through women education when the women of the country stand up together against such practices.
Woman empowerment : Education makes a woman aware of her rights and duties and enables them to respond to the challenges in a bold way.
Improvised standards of living : When a woman earns, she can utilize her money on her own and no other males would have a say on that. Women Education elevates the standard of living of the family.
Prevents social exclusion : Uneducated women or a girl child is likely to work as a domestic help or in extreme cases become a victim of flesh trade over the opposite gender and these women often get secluded in society.
Contribution to the welfare of society : Educated women gets themselves involved in developmental activities and work for the progress of the country. Women like Kalpana Chawla, Kiran Bedi, Mother Teresa, Mary Kom set a classic example.
Sadly, there are many barriers of Women Education in India.
Barriers of Women Education
1. Lack of consciousness among some women to be educated : Some women are not aware that education is important for them. This maybe because of the environment where they were born and brought up with the so called notion that she is supposed to be in the kitchen and not in school and women happens to believe that it is her fate.
2. Lack of safe transportation for school going girls : Due to lack of safe transportation to go to school, parents hesitate to send their daughters to school. Now this barrier is common for everyone whether it is a rural or urban area.
3. Financial constraints of the family : If the family of a woman cannot afford the education expense, they would pull her out of school. The education of the son is always given preference than the daughter.
4. Unwillingness of parents to send girl child to school : Some parents don’t want their daughters to attend schools and colleges. Some families still think that daughters are a burden and believe that the sooner they are married off, the better. Education never comes into the scenario in such cases.
5. Early marriage : Education of women is stopped when she gets married. Some families allow their daughter-in-law to continue their study after marriage but it is very rare. 10 out of 100 families do that. In most cases, when girls gets married early, their education stops then and there.
6. Conservative mentality : It is very sad to see people having low mentality towards women education. Some believe that if a girl is too educated, it would be difficult to search a groom for her. Also it is a well known fact that Indian families spend more money on a girl’s marriage than on her education. The married life of a woman is always given more importance than her career.
Women Education in India can be improved when
. We do not consider a girl to be a burden.
. People should stop thinking that cooking, laundry and other household activities are woman’s job.
. People should stop categorizing women as inferior.
. Encourage people to send their daughters to school without discrimination.
. Encourage people to not stop the education of a girl just because she got a great match and needs to get married.
Popular quotes on Women Education
“When women are educated, their country become stronger and more prosperous.” – Michelle Obama
” Young women who want education will not be stopped.” – Frieda Pinto
” To educate girls is to reduce poverty.” – Kofi Annan
Women Education contributes to the overall development and progress of our country. A society lacks behind if the women are not happy. Education is the master key to open the doors of development and it is high time for the society to acknowledge it.