Job selection depends on many things like education, experience, body language and a good resume. Most people do not know how to make a strong resume. So here is an article explaining this.
A resume is a document created and used by a person to present their background, skills, and accomplishments. It is a documentary record of your contact details, educational qualifications, skills and employment history in a nutshell. As it establishes your details, it should be appealing and convincing. A good resume increases your chances to get employed in a company. To build an attractive resume, you need to find out the best resume format. Resume format plays a vital role while creating a job-winning resume. You should be well-versed about the kind of resume format that suits your current situation.
Importance of a resume
Employers use resumes to get a deeper understanding of candidate skills, strengths and experience. Your resume should reflect achievements, awards, education, experience and any other outstanding accomplishments that align with your career path and goals. Here are some reasons why you need a resume to get your next job. An effective resume:
- Outlines your relevant skills and experience. A well-structured resume clearly highlights your most attractive skills and experience to potential employers.
- Displays the benefits you offer employers. More importantly, it should tell employers what you bring to the company along with skills and experience.
- Grabs the attention of employers. Usually the top quarter of the resume is considered the most attention-grabbing. Make sure to include important summarized information in this part.
- Matches your skills to the position’s need. One way to do this is by making sure your resume contains the same keywords found in the job description.
- Can lead to an interview with the employer You’ll likely need to conduct at least one interview to be offered a position, so having a resume is essential.
What does a Resume Contain?
- Name with contact Information- Your postal address, email and mobile number.
- Objective: It appears just below the contact information. It briefly describes the type of job you want and also skills that make you the best candidate for the job. The skill related keywords should be present in this section e.g. – Software languages known etc.
- Education- All your educational qualifications, the most recent first.
- Work Experience-the company, job title and responsibilities etc. with most current experience on top.
- Achievements, Training & Certifications if any
- Other Skills, Interests and Hobbies.
Tips for Writing a Resume:
- First write down all the details that you want to include in your resume.
- Select a format
- Be simple, brief and straight
- Do not lie about your qualifications and experience
- Sometimes resumes are filtered by keywords, so see that the words associated with the job are included.
- Don’t leave unexplained gaps in the timeline. (a year off etc. )
- Do not copy someone else’s Resume
- Ask your friend or a teacher to review the content. Revise and Edit.
- Avoid fancy fonts and colours
- Print it on one side of the sheet only. Limit it to one page if possible, else 4 pages should be the maximum.
- Use A4 size paper to write the resume.