Bachelor of Arts (B.A) English. It is an undergraduate degree for three years. The course would focus on the main aspects of the language and it will help us develop creative and independent thinking. The course helps us to enhance our communication skills.
Why English Literature?
English Literature introduces us to a world of creativity. You would get a chance to discover poems, novels and plays. You get to read incredible novels as per your prescribed syllabus. You get the knowledge of the history of literature. You will be able to think without confinement. There are no particular reasons but;
- If you are drawn to literature.
- If you are interested in the language.
- If you love reading books.
- If you want to make a career based on this course
- If you would love to learn about the wide range of cultures.
- It will help you broaden your boundary.
The actual answer lies in your perspective and interest.
B.A English Literature Subjects
Literature students will have major, allied and core subjects. The subjects may differ in correspondence to where you are studying. The subjects are as interesting as it sounds. We will get the flavour of distinct eras. The subjects will pull out the self-reliant sense.
- History of English Literature.
- American Literature.
- Victorian Literature.
- Women’s Writing.
- Indian writing.
- Poetry and
- Literary Criticism.
Best College to Study Literature
- Loyola College.
- Stella Maris College.
- Madras Christian College.
- Ethiraj College for Women.
- Meenakshi College for Women.
- Women’s Christian College.
- Patrician College of Arts and Science.
When it comes to college, we have a few things to consider. The accommodation, fees structure, reputation of the institution, etc. In that case, I have listed out colleges in Tamil Nadu, Chennai. The chrome will help you sort out colleges in your location.
Job Opportunities After B.A. English Literature.
- Content writer.
- Public relations.
- Creative writing.
- Language translator.
- Media and advertising, etc…
The career opportunities are impressive and you can be a freelancer too. Although, many prefer to do Masters in Literature. There are alternatives.
Books for Literature Students
The books may vary according to the syllabus prescribed. Classics to add to your never-ending reading list are;
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
- Jane Austen’s works.
- Shakespeare’s works.
- A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
- Animal Farm by George Orwell.
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc.
As literature students, we might have the self-expectation of reading a particular genre. You need not read only classics to be acknowledged as a literature student. Try to savour the stories.
To know the history of English literature, you can refer to;
1. An Outline History of English Literature by William Henry Hudson.
2. A Critical History of English Literature Vol 1 & 2 by David Daiches.
Side Hustles for Litreature Students
I’m no expert, but I do have few ideas. Book lovers know the pain of having N number of books on their wishlist and not being able to get them all. Well, with side hustles we will be able to squeeze in extra books while buying.
- Content Writing.
- Book logging & Bookstagram.
- Bootubing (although the channel will take some time to get monetized.)
- Affiliate Marketing.
- Social Media Marketing.
However, the above-stated side hustles won’t make you rich but will be more like pocket money. There are plenty of internships that will pay you with a certificate.
For clear ideas, consult your counsellor, teachers and mentors. Is Literature tough? No, it is neither easy nor difficult. Unlike the olden days, we have technology and the internet facility. Literature is a wonderful way to know history.